Thursday, February 4, 2010

Welcome to My Overview of Russian Literature

Hello, everyone, my name is Natalie, and this is my blog for my college class on Russian History. As a double major in English and History, I wanted to find a project that would encompass both of my passions into a single piece of work. I fell in love with Russian literature during a course on World Literature over the winter because of Anton Chekhov's The Cherry Orchard and Leo Tolstoy's The Death of Ivan Illyich, both of which will be covered as I attempt to provide you with a comprehensive survey of Russian Literatue over the next few months. My plan is to start with folk- and fairytales from centuries-old Russian culture and to travel through the time periods that followed covering Tsarist Russia, the Revolutionary era, the time of the Soviet Union, and the decade immediately following the collapse of the USSR. My hope is to include all types of literature including poetry, novels, short stories, and plays.

It is also my hope that you will join me on this ambitious adventure through time, and that you learn, as I predict I will, more about a culture that is still a mystery to much of the world.

Oh, and I should mention that I will always give credit where credit is due. You will find each of the works that I read and comment on listed in MLA format at the end of each post so that you, too, can read them if you so choose. That said, I must tell you that my amusing title for this blog is not my own. My witty friend Nick came up with it almost instantaneously when I told him my project idea. Thanks, Nick.

And thank YOU (the reader) for being brave enough to come along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment